2 lbs of chicken*
4 tbs biryani masala or Kachha Masala
11/2 cups Basmati Rice,washed
1/2tsp black cumin (shaha jeera)
1 inch cinnamon stick 3
2-3 green cardamoms
1/2 cup skim milk
few strands of saffron soaked in milk
Extra cashews to garnish
Deep fried onion chips
yellow food color
Raisins to garnish
Unsalted butter or ghee
2 thinly sliced onions
*In india we use whole chicken, but you can substitute this with skinless, boneless chicken cut into big pieces
Homemade Marinate Ingredients
1 black cardamom
15-20 black pepper
tsp poppy seeds
1/4 tsp shaha jeera
2 1/2tbsp grated ginger
chopped green chilies paste
2/3 cup plain yougurt
2 Tbs tomato paste.
1 tsp chili powder (this you can adjust according to your spice level)
1) Mix all the ingredients of marinate and marinate the chicken at least for 2 hours.
2) In pan add about 1 table spoon of butter or ghee and saute the marinated chicken for couple of min. Cover the pan and let the chicken cook on slow flame. The required consistencey of the chicken for this recipe is of curry not soupy.
1) Wash rice with water, rinse and keep aside for 2 hours.
2) Heat oil or ghee in the pan.
3) Add bayleaf,cumin,cinamon stick,cardamoms and rice.
4) Add 3 cups of hot water and enough salt to the rice.
5) once all the water is evaporated from the rice turn the flame off
6) Split the rice in two parts in two diffrent plates.
7) In one part add the mix of milk saffron and yellow color and gently mix the rice
How to layer the Biryani
1) In the heavy bottom container add oil adnd layers of onions.
2) Add the layer of white rice on the top
3) The second layer will be of chicken
4) Arrange top layer of yellow saffron flavored rice
5) Layer of deep fried onions,cashews and raisins.
6) Make little holes in the layered rice and pour ghee or butter in it..
7) Cover and steam
Share your ideas, comments and links!